Tuesday, February 5, 2008

people who could save the planet

Wow, lot's of great folks who are doing their part and much more to stave off disaster. I really like Dr Rajendra Singh, his plan to bring back small earth dams or johads that collect surface
water was extremely interesting. The region had apparently been using tube wells to get their water which eventually started to run dry and subsequently forced many in the region of Gopalpura, Rajastan to migrate to other regions to find water, when all it took was for them to use old methods to sustain their current water supplies. I have to wonder why it took this guy to get things done when the people of Gopalpura had the answers all along. Many of the people on the top 50 list talked about the auto industry and all of them have great ideas but what I've noticed is that these ideas are to be implemented between 10 and 50 years from now. It is my understanding that most the major oil reserves are going to be pretty close to being depleted by 2015. It would seem that ideas are plentiful and action is not, at least in the automobile industry.

4 comments:

The Goat's Friend said...

We'll dive into these folks more today, and I'm hoping for the best [typed ho-ing and realized just how awful that way]. There's plenty to be said about the variety of individuals involved, but even more about HOW they are doing what they're doing, I think ...

tahoebarbara said...

Jimmy, I really like your site design also. I have been playing around with the photos and can't seem to get them to the size or position I would like. If you get this comment, could you e-mail me at tahoebarbara@aol.com and let me know which template you chose and how to enlarge the photos?

Denielle said...

I agree Jimmy, how do we wage a war against lack of initiative? Aren't high gas prices and the looming threat of raising temperatures enough or do we have to make the people even more uncomfortable than than the doomsday scenario that has been painted? I think people say they want to change but when that change is anything less than convenient, they resist. Like going to the gym for the first time or giving up smoking. The title of Al Gore's movie really does make sense. So what will it take in the end?

The Goat's Friend said...

Good sir -- jump right in and get more stuff going; your audience is waiting for something else.